The Young Men’s Library Association library was started by the Young Men’s Debating Society of Ware. The Debating Society started with a small membership library, and then petitioned the State Legislature to allow the town to appropriate money so their library could become a free public library for use by all town residents. The land for the library was donated by local businessman Calvin Hitchcock and funds for building were donated by William Hyde and several other local figures. The building was dedicated on July 19, 1881. Land purchased and donated by J. H. Grenville Gilbert was used to add an addition that holds the Reading Room. This addition was dedicated in 1924. In addition to being a lending library for the public, the Library has a historical collection of local documents, photographs and other items, as well as items related to the building of the Quabbin Reservoir and a collection of works written by local authors.